BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Peer Pressure


I have 2 daughters, aged 11 and 7. Over 2 years ago, when they were both still in a private school, my oldest daughter came home very withdrawn and quiet after a school trip she had been on. When getting down to the heart of the matter, she begged me to never buy her anything pink ever again! Girls had been making comments like "hmmm, you really like wearing pink don't you?!" Making her feel that pink was for babies. Is it really so wrong for a little girls, then aged 8, to like wearing pink?

Now, it is a common need that we all have in life - to be loved, needed and accepted for who we are by those around us.

Now days girls are colouring their hair, wearing make-up and have their nails done professionally - not at 16, but from about the age of 10! There are girls, aged 13, looking like they are 19 walking around malls at night with matric boys. Where and what will these children be getting up to when all is said and done by the age of 20?

My daughters at school were feeling left out for not having the latest ipods, cell phones, laptops and playing with toys where completely out of the question! I am now please to say, 2 years later, I have my children back, playing with dolls and climbing trees.

My prayer is that my girls grow up at the pace that they need to and be carefree and happy while they do.

0 comments: